Watch as Chef Jeffrey K. Vaden makes whipped sweet potatoes–a healthy, delicious Thanksgiving side dish that your whole family will love.
Whipped Sweet Potatoes
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (optional)*
- 2 tbsp honey (optional)*
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ¼–½ cup low-fat evaporated milk
- 1 orange (juiced)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ginger
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Bake the sweet potatoes at 400F until done (about an hour). Baking allows the natural sugars to come out instead of boiling them away.
- Peel the potatoes and place the pulp into a large bowl.
- Stir in the brown sugar and/or honey, butter, milk, and juice of the orange.
- Add the spices and whip to desired consistency.
- *Options are endless and include rosemary, maple syrup, chipotle paste, or even placing marshmallows on top and finishing under the broiler until they begin to melt. Enjoy!
Healthy Living http://hfhealthyliving.org/
If you live in New York City or Long Island and want more information about our health plans, please click here.
Please note that clicking on this link will take you away from the Healthfirst Healthy Living website.
© 2016 HF Management Services, LLC.
Healthfirst is the brand name used for products and services provided by one or more of the Healthfirst group of affiliated companies.
This health information or program is for educational purposes only and not intended to treat, diagnose, or act as a substitute for medical advice from your provider.